Friday, January 31, 2014

Thankful/Sad Post

 First of all, I would like to thank so many of you out there for the success of this last litter.  They are all with their new owners now and we are very happy with all of them!!  My thanks goes out of course, to the loving people who took them into their home, but also to those of you out there who advertised for us!  This was the first time we sold a whole litter without a single person finding our ad!  They either saw someone who had a Finley River Retriever puppy, photos on facebook, stumbled across the blog, or someone told them about us!!  I think that is pretty cool!  It makes us happy!


But of course, all success must come with a price and a stroke of bad luck.  We experienced that last week.  We lost our sweet 8 month old Penny.  
She was my son's dog.  He'd call her "his very own puppy."  Pretty special since most of his puppies are only around for 8 weeks.
(the day we picked her up)
Of course, we fell in love with her fuzzy self and were hoping someday she too would contribute to the Finley River Retriever business.
She quickly fit right in with our outdoorsy family and dogs!
Sorry to offend...it is what it is, people...legal, conserving the deer population, and necessary.  
And Penny loved being around the action!
She loved all the action of being out in the country!
And she lived happily and freely until I noticed she wasn't feeling well last week.  I took her to the vet expecting to get some meds and bring her home.  I brought her home, but the prognosis wasn't good.  She tested positive for a rare virus that occurs mainly in young dogs who run freely in rural areas, mainly the midwest.  The cause is unknown and it is not contagious (so we were at least thankful for that).
We brought her home and the boys got a good lesson on how the the Lord gives and takes away.  We were all able to sit with her and say good bye and I will spare you from the heartwrenching details of what the boys did and said.
Now Penny is gone and we are adjusting.  It's still sad.  Especially now that Luke has added into his redundant prayer "and help Penny have fun up there."  But we have the memories of this funny, quirky puppy and the pictures that now I'm so thankful for.

So I thought I should post it.  That it's not all fun and puppies.  As my dad says with his cattle, "when you have that many cows, you're bound to lose some.  It's just how it is."  So I guess that's kind of how it is with the dogs.  We do have a lot of dogs.  But he doesn't let his cows inside to sleep by the fire, or in the car to go to town, or the back of the truck to go to the river.  So this is totally different!  She was our pet too.
R. I. P. Miss Penny Pup.

No comments:

Post a Comment